"Disclaimer: I received a pair of Knockaround Fast Lane Sunglasses to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!"
Summer running, while most people tend to try to beat the heat of the season with early, pre-dawn runs, I am the opposite. Bring on the heat! With that heat comes the sun, so I am never running without a pair of sunnies, so when I got the chance to try out a pair of the new Knockaround Fast Lane Sport sunglasses I was all in.
Who is Knockaround?
In 2005 Adam Moyer, the founder of Knockaround, came up with the idea to create affordable sunglasses that wouldn’t be a total loss if they got knocked around a bit. The idea is based on his dad’s knock around sneakers. He was looking for affordability so if they were lost or broken it wasn’t as big of a deal. So out of this came some pretty stylish and practical sunglasses.
Fast Lane Sport
I was given a pair of Fast Lane Sport Sunglasses in the Spearmint/Red Sunset colorway. First off, this color is fire y’all, straight fire. They look amazing and photograph so well I just can’t stop (see gallery below). Second, let’s talk about features. These glasses are made with runners in mind, with a lightweight frame and rubber nose pads, these glasses stay put while running. They also feature FDA-approved impact resistant lenses with full UV400 protection, that are polarized (think HDTV for lenses) all for $25.
So why wear sunnies while running?
Let’s talk about why it is a really good idea to wear sunglasses while running…
- First & foremost, UV protection! I wouldn’t be a good ophthalmology employee if I didn’t start here.
- Speaking of protection, how about shielding our eyes from foreign objects like dirt & debris, bugs, even the rogue branch on trails.
- Fashion…c’mon sunglasses look hot.
- Rain protection, there is nothing worse than rain pelting you in the eyes.
- Frees energy from your face, hear me out…straining & squinting uses energy, by wearing sunglasses you are preventing squinting, relaxing your facial muscles naturally, therefore eliminating wasted energy.
- Keep your eyes warm in the winter, there is a reason most skiers wear goggles.
The good, the bad, and the sunny
First let’s talk about what I like about my Fast lanes…
- This color, I can’t say it enough, this color. This line has some really hot color combos that I just love, so there are lots of choices. Don’t see a color you like, they have the option of creating customs.
- They are hella comfortable, seriously I have worn them for hours without them sliding, pinching, or giving me a headache
- The polarized lenses give you great clarity in the sun and shade, polarizing a lens gives you what I call high def vision, it makes everything crisp, and vibrant.
- They are durable, I am not a graceful person. I drop things, a lot. I dropped these sunglasses the first day I got them and just knew that before I took my first photo they were scratched because they landed lens down on the pavement, but they weren’t. I have dropped them a good dozen times, and so far they are looking good.
- They come with their own bag/cleaning wipe. I am notorious for cleaning my glasses/sunglasses with my shirttail, the optical people at work call me out on it. Don’t do it. It ruins your lenses, so I can appreciate the storage bag they give you that doubles as something you can clean off the blood, sweat, and tears from your run with.
- They do not move…head over to my IG reels and see my shake test. I jumped, shook, and nodded like crazy and they stayed put. Bonus, when I run in the woods sometimes it is shady and I pull my sunglasses up, these will stay put on top of your head too.
Okay what I don’t like about Knockaround…
- To be perfectly honest I cannot find really anything to complain about. I have tried. They do sell out of styles really fast it seems, so if you don’t act fast you may miss out on a pair you just have to have. I was going to say I was bummed they didn’t have Plano/clear lens offerings but they do have blue blockers glasses that would work. Why on earth would I want clear sunglasses? Because I wasn’t joking when I said eye protection, so I like to wear them even at night, especially on the trails, so a clear lens makes that possible.
All in all, I am super happy I was given the opportunity to try out these glasses, they have a fan in me! The concept, the back story, the product…I am into all of it. My kids are already asking for their own as well, and my better half found some he likes. Expect to see these hanging around my face often!
Want your own pair, go here to get yours, and while you are at it use the code BibRaveKnocks5 to get 20% off of your entire order (one use per customer).